cat looks at a laptop
images/contact/cute-sheperd-dog-in-grass.jpg

Blog

Welcome to our blog, where you can find out more about the latest veterinary news and trends!

SEARCH NOW

Search for the latest posts

A Vet in Campbell Sounds Off on Three Common Pet Poisons

A-Vet-in-Campbell-Sounds-Off-on-Three-Common-Pet-Poisons

Thanks to the Internet, pet parents know a whole lot more about taking good care of their four-legged family members than in the past. With a plethora of information at your fingertips, it's easy to learn more about your cat or dog. Despite this, though, quite a few pet parents don't realize that several common products could hurt their four-legged companions. Almost everyone knows to keep chocolate and prescription medications out of reach, but a lot of other household items are every bit as dangerous. With March being National Pet Poison Prevention Month, now is an awesome time to brush up on your knowledge. Here are a few common things you may not realize are toxic to your furry family member. 

1. Xylitol

You might not recognize xylitol by its name, but you likely have it in your home. This artificial sweetener is used in many sugar-free foods and snacks, especially candy and gum. However, this ingredient is certainly not sweet for your pets. When eaten, xylitol could cause an extreme drop in blood sugar and potentially fatal liver damage. With manufacturers using this ingredient more often, it's showing up in new products constantly. Xylitol is even an ingredient in some types of peanut butter. Be sure to read labels before giving your feline friend or canine companion human food! 

2. Raisins and Grapes

You and your kids might enjoy snacking on raisins and grapes, but they are poisonous to your furry friend. Scientists are not certain what makes these fruits are so poisonous to companion animals, but even eating only a few grapes or raisins might lead to renal failure. 

3. Indoor Plants

If you have a collection of indoor plants, be sure to restrict your pet's access. Quite a few prevalent houseplants are toxic to dogs and cats, and they cause problems ranging from moderate stomach upset to severe organ damage and, in some cases, death. Snake plants, aloe, dracaena, and philodendrons are just a few of the plants that are poisonous to dogs and cats.

What to Do If Your Cat or Dog is Exposed to Poison

Seek prompt veterinary support if you ever think your cat or dog might have ingested or been exposed to a poisonous or toxic substance. Your pet requires an evaluation even if they are not showing symptoms. Get a hold of the Pet Poison Helpline for additional information. 

If you are searching for a skilled veterinarian in Campbell, Happy Valley Pet Hospital is here for you. Our caring team provides both wellness and sick care and will help your furry friend in any way possible. To find out more about us or schedule an appointment for your furry friend, please call now.

 

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://happyvalleypethospital.com/

SAME-DAY URGENT AND EMERGENCY CARE APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE

Image
Image

Contact Information

Phone Number

3265 S Winchester Blvd. Campbell, CA 95008

Hours

  • 7 days a week
    9:00am - 6:00pm

Quick Links